- Make sure your clubs meet the USGA and R&A Groove Specifications. The following is a data base to verify if your clubs made prior to January 1, 2010 comply with the 2012-2015 Rules of Golf and are permissible for play under the Groove Condition of competition, which is in effect for all USGA Open Championships. Additionally, information regarding the conformance status of clubs not listed, which includes new models of clubs manufactured on or after Jan 1, 2010, please contact the USGA Research and Test Center at (908) 234-2300.
- Make sure your golf balls are all the same type and conform to the 2012-2015 Rules of Golf Rule 5 The Ball and Appendix III. Conforming Ball List
- Check out and adhere to the foot ware policy for the local course conditions. Recently Lee Janzen was Disqualified at a US OPEN QUALIFIER for wearing metal spikes.
- Your golf attire meets the dress code of the tournament you are playing. Most USGA tournaments or Professional Tournaments will not allow you to wear jeans, cut offs, shorts. Mock Turtlenecks sometimes are allowed, but time to time depending on the course you are playing they may not be allowed. If not in the proper attire yourself or your caddie you may be disqualified.
- Check your bag thoroughly making sure you have enough equipment such as gloves, towels, tees, balls, rain gear, umbrella etc. to be with you for any condition that may arise. For if you don't have it in your bag you cannot go get it. Also make sure you only have 14 clubs in your bag. Rules of Golf Rule 4.
Until next time, come prepared to play.